Northpower Limited is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. This Privacy Statement governs the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information by us and has been prepared in accordance with our obligations and your rights set out in the New Zealand Privacy Act 1993.
This Privacy Statement explains:
- where we collect personal information from;
- what kind of personal information we collect;
- how we use personal information;
- how we store personal information;
- our responsibilities for third party websites we may link to;
- how you can access/amend your personal information;
- how long we hold personal information; and
- who you can contact for further information.
In this Privacy Statement:
- we, us and our means Northpower Limited or any related company providing you with our services;
- you or your means you, the person using our services or visiting our premises or website, or any person who provides us with personal information; and
- services means all goods or services we provide and anything else we do for you, including providing you with access to our website.
Collection of Personal Information
We may collect personal information about you that you have provided to us. You may do this in a number of ways including when you apply to receive services from us, through the way you use our products and services, when you participate in consumer promotions and surveys. We may also collect information about you from another source (such as credit agencies, electricity retailers, metering companies, our contractors and customers).
The personal information we collect may include your name, address, contact information, your energy retailer, data from your electricity meter and any other information we need to provide services to you or to maintain and optimise the performance of our network.
We, and any authorised third party, may monitor any online communication you have with us for cybersecurity purposes.
We also use CCTV cameras to record footage at some of our sites.
Use of Personal Information
We may use this personal information for purposes connected with our business, including:
- supplying you with energy and any other products or services you have requested;
- resolving faults and problems with our services, maintaining, upgrading and planning of our network and making improvements generally to our services and the way in which we provide them to you;
- administering customer accounts, credit checking, confirming your identity and debt collection;
- dealing with your requests, enquiries or complaints and other customer care activities;
- carrying out activities connected with the running of our business such as personnel training, quality control, network monitoring, testing and maintenance of our systems and in connection with the transfer of any part of our business in respect of which you are a customer or potential customer;
- informing you or contacting you regarding our products, brands, special offers, publications and other promotions we think you may be interested in;
- carrying out our responsibilities, including complying with industry regulations;
- enforcing our rights under our contracts with retailers or other customers, or our arrangements with your energy retailer or metering company;
- enabling an organisation to pay a benefit to a customer (e.g. a Northpower line charge holiday or a line charge rebate) and enabling the Northpower Electric Power Trust to make distributions and conduct elections;
- for general administrative and business purposes;
- any specific purpose which we notify you of at the time personal information is collected.
CCTV footage may be used for the following purposes:
- detecting and deterring criminal behaviour on our sites; and
- monitoring the safety and security of our staff and our sites and completing incident investigations.
Security of your information
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that all information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete, up to date and stored in a secure environment and protected from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Disclosure of your information
There may be situations where we need to disclose your personal information to third parties. Any disclosure will be in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993 and we will only disclose your personal information to the following persons:
- Our agents, contractors and service providers that we have engaged to provide you with services, or who maintain our network or who provide us with products or services including data analysis that support the services we provide;
- Credit assessment agencies/debt collection agencies;
- Your energy retailer or metering company;
- Northpower Electric Power Trust;
- Any authorised third parties who monitor, host, or maintains data, data centres, service platforms and other infrastructure and systems on behalf of us, where your information is processed, transmitted or stored;
- Persons who we may be required to pass your information to by reason of legal, government or regulatory authorities, including law enforcement agencies and emergency services;
- Any person or organisation authorised to receive the information by the Privacy Act 1993.
We may also disclose your personal information without your consent if required to by law or if necessary to:
- Protect or enforce our legal rights or interests, or to defend any claims made against us by any person (including you);
- To lessen a serious threat to a person’s health or safety.
Destruction of your information
We take all reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is disposed of appropriately once it is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was collected. CCTV footage will be deleted on a regular basis.
When you use our website, we may gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data.
We may use non-personalised statistics about the use of our website to monitor site traffic, to analyse trends, to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole, to improve our website and to improve customer service. These statistics do not comprise personal information.
Third Party Websites
Our website may contain links to third party websites. These websites have not been prepared by us and are not controlled by us. They are provided for your convenience only, and do not imply that we check, endorse, approve or agree with the privacy practices of the third party websites our website links to. Accordingly, we are not liable to any person for any of the content contained on any third party websites or the use of the same.
We encourage you to be aware when you leave our website and to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects personal information.
Changes to this Privacy Statement
We may change this Privacy Statement from time to time and we will tell you about a change in this Statement by posting an updated Statement on our website. Any change we make applies from the date we post it on the website.
Access to your information
You may request an inspection, update or correction of the personal information we hold about you, or lodge a complaint, by contacting Northpower’s Privacy Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Northpower Limited, Private Bag 9018, Whangarei Mail Centre, 0148
In order to assist us to locate the information please provide us with sufficient details of the information you would like a copy of. We will not be able to provide you with a copy of information if disclosing the information would infringe the privacy of another individual. In some cases there may be a charge for providing you with copies of your personal information. We will advise you of this prior to sending your information to you.
Where you request a correction to the information held by us, if it is reasonable in the circumstances we will make the requested change or correction. Otherwise we will take reasonable steps to mark that information as having been subject to a request for change or correction.