Building a new house and need power supply?

If you are building a new house or require any new power supply, you must seek approval before connecting to Northpower's electricity lines network. Northpower approval is intended to ensure the following:Building

How do I organise a new power supply?

Step 1: Contact an Energy Retailer to set up an account.

NB: Existing power consumers will already have an account. You will need to quote your Customer Number (account number) on your Northpower Application for Work form.

Step 2: You will need to complete an online Application for Work form to have a new installation connected to Northpower's electricity lines network. Printed application forms are also available from our office which can be faxed back to Northpower Inspection Services on (09) 430 1804.

NB: Please provide your Energy Retailer and customer number at the time of application.

Step 3: Northpower will create an ICP number for your new installation, and notify your Energy Retailer.

Step 4: Your Energy Retailer will then authorise us to install your power meter and connect your installation to our electricity lines network.

It is important to get your application in to Northpower as early as possible in the building process. Don't wait until construction is complete before contacting us. For further information call Northpower Inspection Services on (09) 430 1803.

Undertaking repairs to your property?

Repairs to roofing, spouting, painting, water-blasting, tree trimming and scaffolding can be dangerous if carried out near any overhead power lines. Such work may require a temporary disconnection.

How do I organise a temporary disconnection?

Step 1: Contact Northpower Faults on 0800 10 40 40 to book a temporary disconnection. Allow two working days for scheduling. You will need to provide your name, ICP number, premise address and phone number to schedule the work.

NB: In some cases this can be done at no cost to you.

Step 2: Phone Northpower Faults again on 0800 10 40 40 once the work is completed to get the power reconnected.

NB: If any electrical work has been carried out, we need to sight an electrical Certificate of Compliance (COC) from your electrician before we can reconnect your power. In some cases an Electrical Inspection will be required.

Demolishing or removing a building?

Demolishing a houseFor your own safety, you must have the electricity service disconnected before you demolish or remove a building.

How do I arrange a permanent disconnection?

Step 1: You will need to contact your Energy Retailer, quote your ICP number and request a permanent disconnection.

Step 2: Your electricity retailer will authorise Northpower to carry out the work.

Step 3: Northpower will undertake a final meter reading, remove the meter and cut away the cable from the installation point on the building.

Power disconnected for 6 months or more?

Where power is not used over long periods of time, people often have their electricity supply disconnected. It is important to note that if the power has been disconnected for longer than six months, your installation must (by law) be inspected before reconnection can occur. This applies to all installations including temporary supplies for builders, pumps, cowsheds, houses and baches, regardless of age.

How do I arrange to get my power reconnected?

Roneel ChandStep 1: Arrange a Certificate of Verification (COV) with any registered Electrical Inspector. An inspection fee will apply.

NB: Should you wish to book a Northpower Inspector, phone Northpower Inspection Services on (09) 430 1803.

Step 2: Contact your preferred Energy Retailer to accept responsibility for future power charges, and request the reconnection. Advise the Retailer that the COV has been arranged.

Step 3: The Energy Retailer will then arrange for Northpower to visit your installation, sight the COV and reconnect the power.

NB: If you have selected a Northpower Inspector, he will be able to reconnect the installation as soon as it passes the COV providing we have received the reconnection request from your Retailer.

If you are unsure of the length of time your power has been disconnected, contact your energy retailer or Northpower Inspection Services on (09) 430 1803 with your ICP number. They will be able to tell you exactly how long the electricity has been turned off and advise whether an inspection is required.

Power Supply FAQ's

My power was turned off due to my account being overdue - what do I do?

If your Energy Retailer has disconnected your power because you are in arrears, you will need to make payment arrangements with your Energy Retailer, who will then contact us to request a reconnection.

I've just moved into a new house and there is no power on - what do I do?

Contact an Energy Retailer of your choice and provide them with the ICP number or meter serial number, which can be found at the meter station itself. The retailer will then contact us to arrange a site visit to reconnect power.

I've just moved into a new house, and the power is still connected - what do I do?

You will still need to sign up with an Energy Retailer immediately to accept responsibility for future power charges. Phone your preferred Energy Retailer, and provide the ICP number or meter serial number. Failure to do so will result in the power being disconnected, and the extra cost and inconvenience of getting the power reconnected.

I've moved onto a farm - what do I do?

If you have moved on to a property with multiple ICP's you will need to sign up with your Energy Retailer for each one that you wish power to be supplied to. For example, in a farm situation you may have separate ICP's for the house, cowshed, farm sheds and water pumps. Failure to sign up for any ICP will result in that ICP being disconnected by the previous Energy Retailer.

Where do I find my ICP Number?

Every electricity installation in the country has a unique ICP or Installation Control Point identifier. Your ICP number can be found on your power account. An example of an ICP number in the Northpower area is 0000504029NR3EA (the NR indicates Northpower Region). An abbreviation may also be written on your meter station window e.g. 504029. If you need to contact us, it is very helpful to quote your ICP number, so we can be certain of your installation details.

How do I change Retailers?

Step 1: Obtain your ICP number from your power account or phone your current Energy Retailer for it.

Step 2: Phone your choice of Energy Retailer and advise them you would like to change Energy Retailers.

Energy Retailers

Browse energy retailers and contact details

Quick Reference Northpower contact numbers:

For booking a Northpower Inspector to carry out a new power connection or reconnection call Inspection Services on (09) 430 1803.

For sending your application of work back to Inspection Services fax us on (09) 430 1804

For temporary disconnections phone Northpower Faults on 0800 10 40 40

For all other enquiries please phone Northpower Whangarei on (09) 430 1803.