Northpower's has grown and evolved from roots deeply seated within in the local communities.
In 1914 the Whangarei Borough council began retailing electricity to the Borough of Whangarei, the Kamo Town District and the Borough of Grahamstown. The Borough was supplied from the Dominion Cement Co's plant at the Wairua Falls.
In Dargaville the Northern Wairua Hydro- Electric Power Committee wasformed by a group of interested citizens in the 1920.
Highlighted here are some of the significant milestones in the development of electrical infrastructure across the region.
|1914||The Whangarei Borough Council began retailing electricity under license . The license included the Borough of Whangarei, the Kamo Town District and the Borough of Grahamstown (later renamed Onerahi). |
|1920's||The Northern Wairua Hydro-Electric Power Committee was formed in Dargaville. The Commitee joined with Hobson County Council to form the Hobsonville Electric Power Board. |
The Counties of Whangarei and Otamtea later joined the Board
|1930's||The Hobsonville Electric Power Board changed its name to the North Auckland Electric power board.|
Office were set-up in Hokianga Road, Dargaville.
The construction of the single circuit 50kV line to Mareretu from Henderson enabled power to be switched on in Dargaville by the Christmas of 1936.
Ongoing extensions of supply occurred as lines were constructed and substations built.
|1940's||Extensions to supply continued in spite of the difficulties of war and by 1945 the Board has 5,321 consumers with a maximum demand of 481kW. At the same time the Council has 2879 consumers with a demand of 2879kW.|
|1950's||The Hokianga Road facilities were inadequate and the new office and depot facilities were established.|